Thursday, January 26, 2012

Training Thursday - Finding Motivation

"If you don't have confidence, you'll always find a way not to win."
- Carl Lewis

I have been struggling with wanting to be a runner. 

For several years I have focused on:"I am a runner because I run, not because I run fast, not because I run far.  I am a runner because I say I am and no one can tell me I am not."

I can't run far and I don't run fast.  In high school my coach enjoyed telling me how un-athletic I am.  I played basketball, volleyball, and ran track. I was never great at any of them.   My track experience was horrible. I was disappointed and embarrassed every time I got on the track.

Today when I run I don't want anyone to watch - I still feel like that chunky little girl that could not win  a race. 

So why, did I decide a couple of years ago that my goal is to run a half-marathon before I turn 50???

Is it because I want to be what I wasn't in high school - an athlete?  Is it because I want to prove something to my old coach? 

Can a nonrunner run a half-marathon in 40 days? Probably not.  What a nonrunner can do is be true to herself.  I can run because I want to.  I can run for my health. I can run for my future.
So - off I go to build my confidence and pursue my dream of being a runner.
~ ConnieKay~

1 comment:

sports supplies volleyball said...

I don't get this."Today when I run I don't want anyone to watch - I still feel like that chunky little girl that could not win a race.
" Could you please enlighten me on this? I keep following all your posts hope you can regularly post more. I get very useful information here. Thanks for having this.



sports supplies volleyball