Sunday, July 08, 2012

A-Z All About Me - Week A

Vacation trip over – I had 10 hours in the car to think about the challenge of describing my life with a letter of the alphabet each week.  I asked my husband for how he would describe me using the letter “A”.  

He said – academic.  I laughed.  See I have been in school for 15 years of the eighteen years we have been married.  I have finished bachelor’s degree, master’s (X2) degree and all but a dissertation for my doctorate.  I disagreed with him – academic makes me sound like a nerd.  He laughed and asked how many books did I read on our vacation?  Ok, two but does that make me – academic or a nerd?

He then suggested my word should be accommodating.  When I asked him why, he said I can’t say no to anyone.  I had to laugh – he is correct.  I do say yes when frequently asked to lend a hand. 

I believe: from everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked (Luke 12:48). 

I have been given and entrusted with much.  Sixth healthy, not always perfect kids, four perfect-grandsons and a an awesome granddaughter, a loving husband, a great career, the ability to provide a safe and loving home for thirteen-four-legged babies. 
I love being a nurse and my full-time money making job is awesome. I am part of the administrative team for a rural health system.  I average 50 hours a week –

But, I still find time to volunteer.  I am the volunteer director of a free health clinic we serve approximately 650 residents in our county with free health care.  The clinic is open Monday and Wednesday 9 AM to Noon and every other Thursday 5 PM to 10 PM.  We provide medical, dental, optometry, and medications free to those who have no insurance or access to healthcare. 

I volunteer with the Red Cross, the humane society, the National Wild Turkey Federation, various Running activities, and my church. 

I do have a hard time saying no – so, yes I am accommodating.  But, from everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked (Luke 12:48).
~ Connie ~





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go with atomic as your "a" word--of, or employing nuclear energy or processes.

https://scrapbookwife.blogspot.com/ said...

Atomic - that isn't a word the I had thought of... Some people say I am like a secret weapon. People can't say no to me - I tend to get people to do the right thing.
Thanks for posting on my blog.
Connie

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

There's nothing wrong with being a nerd - nerds are awesome! Loved your entry and look forward to reading more! Cheers!