Sunday, May 03, 2015

Staying in The Present

This past week has been like most of the weeks in my life - very busy. 
We had a death in the family - my sister-in-law who had been ill for several months was laid to rest.  My Dad had a doctor's appointment.  One of our four-legged babies was diagnosed with glaucoma, my daily patient schedule is filling up everyday and we went to the ball fields to watch a couple of baseball games our grandsons were playing in.

But, I have been working this week to be present - what I mean is, I have been focusing on living in the moment.  I am practicing mindfulness -
According to Psychology Today "Living in the moment—also called mindfulness—is a state of active, open, intentional attention on the present. When you become mindful, you realize that you are not your thoughts; you become an observer of your thoughts from moment to moment without judging them. Mindfulness involves being with your thoughts as they are, neither grasping at them nor pushing them away. Instead of letting your life go by without living it, you awaken to experience."
Mindfulness reduces stress, boosts immune functioning, reduces chronic pain, lowers blood pressure, and can have a positive impact on preventing or treating chronic disease. Being present can have a positive impact on your personal relationships. 

Why have I chosen to work on mindfulness? Often, we're so trapped in thoughts of the future or the past that we forget to experience, let alone enjoy, what's happening right now.  That has been me...I have been catching myself checking facebook, twitter, or answering the phone when I should be focusing on the minutes I have with my best friend (spouse), petting the four-legged baby that would do anything to get my attention, or listening intentionally to what my Dad is saying (even if he doesn't know what he is saying), because someday I will miss all of this - someday I will not have the opportunity to be mindful. 
Pops and Jax  - so thankful I didn't miss this moment.
So today is it - I am practicing mindfulness, intentionally paying attention.
How about you - do you practice mindfulness?
~ Connie ~

No comments: