Sunday, January 02, 2011

Simple with Purpose

Today started off, to a late start, with a calmness and organization that is often missing in my mornings. Two quick miles on the treadmill completed, followed by coffee in my study. It is funny how my word “simple” added to this morning.

Before Christmas, I was feeling overwhelmed every time I walked in to my study. Why – the room had become the “catch-all” space. I spent one afternoon throwing out stuff – mostly papers. It is amazing how much I print to read or file because I want to be able to put my hands on it latter. Magazines were another complication.

Also having a plan this morning helped me stay focused on how to spend my time. See I often let obligations dictate my time. Work (full-time nurse admin and part-time nurse faculty), and volunteer (full-time charitable clinic admin and humane society advocate) activities overwhelm my life at times causing chaos.

I have a plan – a simple plan: Run early (I owe this to me), work hard (I owe this to the organization), schedule activities (it is my time – use it wisely).

Eleanor Roosevelt once said “I could not at any age be content to take my place in a corner by the fireside and simply look on" – neither can I. I can however not run chaotically into the day – but instead move deliberately and with purpose.

Sounds simple – let’s see what next week holds.

No comments: