Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tasty Tuesday - Tomato Okra Chicken Gumbo

On Sunday night I cooked for the Big Man -  This is part of my new balanced life.

I used a recipe from Paula Deen "Tomato and Okra Soup" as the base for my gumbo.  I added chicken and creole seasoning to the base to make the dish.

Ingredients
2 Tbs of olive oil
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup of celery, chopped
2 gloves of garlic, minced (I used the jar kind)
3 (14.5 oz) cans of vegetable broth
4 cups of chopped tomatoes (I used canned)
3 cups of okra (frozen)
1/4 cup of sliced fresh basal
2 tsp of fresh thyme leaves (I used dried)
1 tsp of ground pepper
1 tsp of sea-salt
4 med sized  cooked chicken breast .

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil, add onion, pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook over medium heat 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the broth and remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
The Big Man loved it.
Happy Cooking
~ Connie ~

No comments: