Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Traditions ~ Resolutions

As I sit watching the sun shine through the window,  on New Year's Day morning,  with a hot cup of coffee and listen to my four-legged children play - I am thinking about the New Year and wondering why do we think that the New Year is the time to begin again?  Why is the New Year going to hold all the promises we want?
According to Wikipedia who cites Thomas A. Green (1997). Folklore: an encyclopedia of beliefs, customs, tales, music, and art "A tradition is a belief or behavior passed down within a group or society with symbolic meaning or special significance with origins in the past." Sociology sees tradition as a social construct used to contrast past with the present and as a form of rationality used to justify certain course of action (S. Langlois, 2001).
Maybe the New Year isn't about starting new but more about contrasting the past with the future we want???? 
For me, I love my life.  I am not saying my life is perfect but, it is comfortable.  I am striving to do what is right and to be a good person.  Isn't that what God wants us to be???
Good - to live in his image. 
I have to say I have been caught up in the last 24 hours reflecting on 2013 and planning for 2014.  Every year I plan to participate in Ali Edwards "One Little Word" challenge.  I purchase the class - download the layouts and stop...I seem to never have the time to put the layout together. I do put together a layout that usually sits on my desk to remind me of my word. 
In 2013 my word was balance.  In 2013 word was "Time".  Funny as I was thinking about my word for 2014 I keep thinking about the word balance.  I feel like I ran through 2013 out of balance.  Between a fulltime job (40+ hours a week), a parttime job, operating a volunteer free health clinic, completing the last two semesters of my  Family Nurse Practitioner Degree, teaching Diabetic Education class, volunteering with the Blytheville Humane Society, one son diagnosed with a life altering disease, and the Big Man having knee replacement surgery.... there hasn't been much me time.  
In 2014 I want down time. I want time to think, I want time to be creative, I want time to feel my muscles work - run, yoga... I want time to catch a few trout.
But, in 2014 we have big plans.  I am opening my own family practice, we are opening a dog boarding business, and I want to take a Yoga instructor class.    - Is this balanced???
  
I am not sure - but the one thing that I do know is - no more New Year's Resolutions for this girl. Everyday is a gift - I am going to work hard on being the person God wants me to be.  And just maybe I will find balance in all that I do in 2014.
Happy New Year
~ Connie  ~

 

No comments: