Sunday, March 16, 2014

First Week in Family Practice

 It is official - after 18 years of formal education (Associate, Bachelors, and a Master's Degrees, Doctorate - all but dissertation, and a post Master's Certificate) - I am a Nurse Practitioner, my name is on the door.
Seeing the first patient was exciting and scary at the same time. Exciting because,  I am finally doing what  God has lead me to do.  Scary because I suddenly realized, I am making decisions that could harm a patient if I don't get it correct.
As a Nurse Practitioner I do have a safety-net my collaborative physician is in the next hallway. If I have a question he is there. 
My family has been very supportive throughout this process. Everyday my boys (3 sons) and the Big Man text me to see how I am doing - they ask about how many patients I have seen or have scheduled. They know I am a little anxious about getting started and growing my patient population.
My baby-girl sent me the most awesome plant.
I know the next six months is going to be rocky trying to find my groove, getting some structure to my day.  But, I know I have a strong support system and I am where God wants me to be.
Have a Great Week
~ Connie ~
 

1 comment:

Anabelle O'Malley said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful achievement. I'm sure your patients are blessed to have you. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You asked about my different colored Filofaxes. I currently have 5 and use two at a time. One is my personal/work planner and the other is for scrapbooking and Project Life stuff. I do rotate them regularly for a fun change. :)