Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Hype about Green Smoothies

What is all the hype about Green Smoothies?
I am in a season in my life where I realize I need to take better care of myself.  As I started looking for simple ways to add healthy food to my vegetarian diet, I found green smoothies.  According to several websites related to green smoothies people who add green smoothies to their diet have better digestion and elimination, lose weight, and have more energy. As I continued to research the benefits of green smoothie I found a couple of websites that suggest the antioxidant properties of green smoothies improve you overall health.

I love fruits and vegetables, but I do not eat enough. The thought of eating a big plate of plain, raw, kale, collards, spinach, or celery is impossible with my busy schedule and sometimes not very appealing.  I often eat a couple of pieces of fruit or a few slices of cheese for lunch.  So finding a way to add spinach or kale to my diet everyday would is bonus.

So today I made my first green smoothie -  and I loved it. I see more in my future.

I used the following recipe:
2 cups spinach, fresh (tightly packed)
2 cups of water
1 cup of mango
1 cup of pineapple
2 bananas
 
Directions:
Tightly pack your leafy greens into a measuring cup and toss into the blender. Add water and blend together until all leafy chunks are gone. Next add in mango, pineapples and bananas and blend again.
 
I would love to hear your thoughts on green smoothies
~ Connie ~ 







2 comments:

Jamie said...

I keep meaning to try these. I am trying to find a new protein drink that is low or no sugar that is not whey or soy protein. I bet if I mixed the stuff I have in a green smoothie it would be better!

https://scrapbookwife.blogspot.com/ said...

I love this recipe - I just had the second half this afternoon during clinic - I really wanted a cupcake but I held back. Let me know if you try a green smoothie - I would love to know what you think.