Friday, April 29, 2016

Using Imagination in a Crisis


Have you ever been in the middle of something bad happening, that while it was happening felt horrible, but in the end you realized the bad was really good?
My home was the victim of a water leak…one of those pesky leaks that had been secretly seeping under floors and providing water for the sheetrock.
In the midst of furniture being stored, floors being removed, sheetrock being cut out, while working 60 hours a week and trying to keep some sense of normal for my 88 year old father who lives with us and had dementia, I realized that yes the leak was an issue, but I had an opportunity to create the home of my dreams (well, maybe not the whole house, but three rooms).
Imagination is powerful. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but by the choices we make. Imagination allows us to break down borders, to move beyond our circumstances, to create and constantly progress. 
As I was driving home after work, late one night, I realized, I had always imagined a large room with overstuffed furniture, light walls, and bold accent colors. The word imagine means: to form a picture or idea in your mind of something that is not real or present.   Our old room had tan walls, laminate flooring, large overstuffed dark furniture and black accent tables. It was a comfortable room, but not the room of my dreams.
Ok, so I had a picture in my head, but I found myself being indecisive. What if I choose the wrong flooring? What if light colored walls looked horrible? What if no one liked what I designed?  What if bold accent colors were over powering?  Should I also redecorate the foyer, it does lead into the den???  When I start down the road of “what ifs” I become paralyzed with indecision.  Fear keeps my imagination from becoming reality.

As an educator at heart, I love books.  I often find myself turning to books, when I do not have an answer.
Years ago I had read Myquillyn Smith’s book, “The Nesting Place, It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful”. Knowing I needed inspiration I pulled Myquillyn’s book out and purchased Melissa Michaels “The Inspired Room: Simple Ideas to Love the Home You Have” 
Now I am still living in chaos, but my imagination is running wild. I can see that the pesky water leak, as a blessing.  I have the ability and tools to design and build the room of my dreams. Oh and why stop at one room, my imagination could just run wild with making my home the home of my dreams.

What do you imagine for your home?
Connie

No comments: