Monday, July 23, 2012

Turning 50

Well today is my last day to be 40 something.  Tomorrow I turn the big 50.  Yes, I will be 50 years old.  Oh, my gosh – I will be 50 years old when I wake up. Now I will have to answer the question “how old are you?” with “50ish”

I never thought I would turn 50.  It seems like just yesterday I was turning 25, 30, 35, 40 – I guess it is natural for 50 to come next.
I am not sure how I feel about turning 50 – I think I am in disbelief.

It is hard to believe half of my life is over – It is hard to believe I only have 50 years to go.
I have achieved much:

2 marriages (found the love of my life and made peace with my ex-husband)
6 kids (3 weddings – sent a son to war)
5 grandchildren
Buried my mother, brother, and grandmother
Rescued more than 20 dogs
Earned an Associate Degree
Earned a Bachelor Degree
Earned a Master’s Degree
Completed all but, dissertation for my doctorate
Completed all but, clincials for my nurse practitioner
Opened a free health clinic
Taught the Big Man to love to Trout Fish


Spent 16 years as a police officer’s wife (experienced retirement with the Big Man)
Ran a 5 K

Hiked in the Smokey Mountains
Took the Big Man Deep Sea Fishing
I have been to Las Vegas
Learned to Kayak
Been Appointed by the Governor and served on a State Committee
Served in the U.S. Army

Opened a red cross shelter
Taught myself to knit
Created a family scrapbook (or two, or three…)

Wow – and I still don’t feel 50.  Maybe 50 is just a number.  Maybe it is true you are as young as you feel.  

Good-bye 40 something – Hello 50ish
Happy Birthday to Me ~Connie ~

No comments: